Your hair needs extra love in winter. Here’s how to show it!
How do you care for your hair in the cold months?
Here are a few tips to having healthy hair in the cold weather from the experts at Fabio's.
1. Avoid Washing Your Hair Too Frequently. Shampoos can strip your hair of their natural oils which leads to dryness. Try shampooing your hair twice a week and using DRY SHAMPOO in between washes.
2. Apply Conditioner After Each Shampoo. Good quality conditioners can add moisturizing ingredients back into your hair.
3. Wear A Hat. Most of us don't like wearing hats, but it's important to cover your hair during the winter months. The winter elements dry your hair out, making it prone to breakage. Wool and cotton are a few fabrics that can cause breakage as well, try lining your hat with silk or satin to help prevent damage.
4. Get Regular Trims. Trimming your hair every four to eight week is a great way to maintain healthy hair. Getting regular trims reduce the chance of developing dry split ends.
5. Avoid Showering With Hot Water. Not only good for your hair, but for your skin as well. Hot water removes moisture making your hair brittle and vulnerable to breakage. Try washing with warm water and follow up with a cool rinse.
6. Deep Condition And A Weekly Hair Mask. Make an appointment at your salon for a deep condition treatment (we offer several deep conditioning options). Weekly hair masks can also make a big difference in dry, damaged hair. Purchasing a good hair mask and using it weekly can reverse the effect of dry hair and keep it protected all year round. They offer benefits like keeping your hair silky soft, hydrating and adding shine.
7. Use A Microfiber Towel. Drying your hair with a regular towel can cause breakage, creates frizz and sometimes causes knots. Microfiber is a very fine soft synthetic material that is ultra-absorbent, which will help in drying your hair quickly and with minimal damage.
8. Avoid Leaving The House With Wet Hair. Wet hair is much more vulnerable to damage in the extreme cold which can freeze and break.
9. Limit Heat Styling As Much As Possible. Blow drying draws moisture out of your hair and that increases the chance of breakage. Try washing your hair in the evening so you give it time to air dry naturally.
10. Buy A Humidifier. Indoor heating causes the air in your home to become very dry and that can pull the moisture out of your hair. Humidifiers can help rehydrate the air, helping to keep moisture in your hair.